Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pollo Sabroso

I need a change of pace in the kitchen.  I'm in a rut.  So with a few weeks left before school starts and things getting crazy again, I resolved to try at least one new recipe a week.  

I don't like following recipes as a rule.  I much prefer to make things up as I go.  But with 80+ recipes pinned on pinterest and a great cookbook my Dad gave me, it seemed that there would be something in there to help me get out of my rut.  This week I headed to pinterest and found Pollo Sabroso from skinnytaste.com.  It looked quick and simple and since I've been trying to eat healthier, the 154 calories per serving didn't hurt either.  

There were a couple of unfamiliar ingredients to me (Sazon and Adobo).  The author of the blog gives a link with a picture of each one, so I had at least an idea in mind what they would like.  I headed to HyVee and was able to find the Sazon but not the Adobo.  At least not the kind that was dry. I went ahead and got everything else I needed and figured I just might have to try another store.  Before going out today, I googled Adobo and found out that it comes from the word "adobar" which means "to marinate".  It can come in both wet and dry form and can be used on all sorts of meats.  There was a recipe listed, of which I had all the ingredients except the turmeric.  So after dropping my daughter off at dance class, I headed back to a different HyVee. They had Adobo!  However, after looking at the ingredients, I decided that the recipe I had found would be more flavorful and it had the added advantage of allowing me to control the salt content.  Since the Sazon also has salt and we try to watch our salt intake, this pretty much sealed the deal.  

I came home and made the Adobo:
3 tsp salt
6 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp oregano
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp onion powder

Mix together and voila!
(The only modifications I made from the original recipe were to cut everything into teaspoons instead of tablespoons and to use half the amount of salt)

After preparing the Adobo, I followed the Pollo Sabroso recipe without modification, choosing to broil rather than grill since it's so HOT here in the midwest. The result: PERFECTION!  Even the girls loved it.  It had tons of flavor and was so juicy.  To keep the meal healthy, I added a side salad and vegetable and it was a total hit.  Will definitely be making it again!

I'm not going to post the recipe here - instead, I encourage you to head over to skinnytaste.com and check out her blog!  She has a lot of yummy looking recipes and I've already pinned a few to try.  For the Pollo Sabroso recipe click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment