Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Just ask...

I'm having a war with my body.  I desire to run and eat healthy, and yet I don't.  I think about running.  I make a plan to do it.  But I don't follow through.  I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch and then it all goes to hell at dinner time.  I don't feel good about myself when this happens, so why do I continue to let it happen?  This isn't a war with my body.  It's a war with my will.  And my spirit.

There are a couple of groups that have helped me keep things from going completely awry.  The first group is made up of a couple of my sisters-in-law.  We all seem to be fighting this battle and so we make "dates" to workout.  If it weren't for these dates, I might not exercise at all during the week.  Each time we meet, we are together for an hour or more and it's such a great time, not only to concentrate on fitness, but to have an outlet for the things in our life that we just need to get out.  Many a time I've been grouchy before meeting them, complaining to my husband that I didn't want to go, but I've come home refreshed and so thankful that I have them.

The other group is a group that I was invited to join by a friend on Facebook.  It's just a handful of us and some of us have never met face-to-face, but we all have two things in common.  A desire to stay fit and our faith.  Yesterday, I was having another of those battles.  Feeling miserable because I haven't run since my last "date" on Tuesday and I had no desire to do so.  I had a ton of excuses, some of them somewhat valid, but I knew in my heart that if I'd have truly wanted to make it happen, I could have. I was kind of just sitting in a great big pile of guilt and self-pity.  So I posted all of this to my friends in fitness asking for encouragement.  You know what?  I got it.  Boy did I ever!

I was reminded that guilt was "of the world, not God".  Wow.  So true. Following this, I was reminded to ask God for help.  Well, DUH!  How could I forget this all important step?  Why is it that I am so good about praying for everyone else, and even for myself, but when I'm absolutely miserable and can't see my way out, I forget to ask Him for help?  She continued to remind me that I can't change the things of yesterday but can only get up each day, ask God to walk with me, and do the best that I can.

And then she left me with this verse.  I will be taping it up on my mirror as a reminder each day to just ask:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:6-7

So guess what?  I made great choices at dinner last night and I got up before church and ran 3 miles this morning.  It's a good step and it was a great lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment